Zakynthos Culture & Tour of Zakynthos Islands
Zakynthos is one of the most beautiful islands within the Ionian Sea and apart from its diverse natural splendor. it has a unique culture and rich cultural traditions
Zakynthos (Zante) is a verdant island endowed with fertile valleys along with a temperate climate (area: 406 sq. km; coastline: 123 km). Its landscape diversity has led to different types of beaches: there are sandy beaches in secluded coves in which the tranquil waters are dark blue on the island’s southeastern part; yet, if rugged cliffs as well as an interesting underwater world will be to your liking, try the western area of the island.
Culture of Zankynthos
The area of Zakynthos has actively contributed within the spiritual and artistic growth and development of Greece. Important figures from the island influenced the physiognomy from the Greek state in all the regions of art and Literature. Because the ancient times, the island was an essential cultural center, due to its geographical position.
Zankynthos is a land of music, dance and poetry. Dionysios Solomos, Greek national modern poet, and Andreas Kalvos, another master Greek poet, were born there. Solomo’s Hymn to Freedom is Greek National song.
You will find the Cantades are Zankynthos popular songs that celebrate ladies and love. They were once sang within the streets by performers who literally guitar Today, they can still be heard in celebrations and festivals (those who work in honor of the island’s patron saint Aghios Dionysios on August 24th and December 17th as well as on the festivals honoring Aghos Lazarus), as well as in restaurants in Bohali, a neighborhood in the hill.
Zankynthos popular dances include the syrtos, the stavrotos, the volimiatikos, the yiaryitos, the gallantry, the panourgia, the manfrena, the nyphiatikos, and also the list is endless.
They are mostly very lively rhythms and lots of dances are accompanied by the music took part in folk instruments. Some aren’t native of the island but happen to be transplanted from Italy along with other Ionian islands.
Zakynthos Greece Private Tour
- Type: Culture, History, Local Crafts and Sweets, Panoramic Views, Scenic Drive, Walking
- Length: 4.5 Hours
- Walking: Medium
- Mobility: Folding wheelchair OK, some sites might be inaccessible (advance notice required)
- Guide: Driver and Licensed Guide
- Language: English
Zakynthos Greece – This half day tour enables you to enjoy the highlights of Zakynthos Island. You explore the main city town on foot, enjoy panoramic views from the island and mountains on mainland Greece, go to the island oldest monastery and enjoy spare time in a typical mountain village where local crafts can be purchased.
- After meeting your guide in the port of Zakynthos you enjoy a walking tour of Zante town. Zante may be the island’s capital and after the earthquake and fire of 1953, the city was rebuilt preserving the Venetian and Byzantine style.
- The city was historically known as “The Venice from the South” Today there are approximately 45,000 inhabitants. In your private guided walk you’ll visit the Solomos square, with the statue from the famous poet who wrote the Hymn of Freedom that later had become the National Anthem of Greece. Important buildings like the church of St. Nicholas and also the Cultural center of Zakynthos surrounds the square.
- Then you depart for the picturesque region Bohali in which you enjoy a photo stop. You will find beautiful views of Zante town and also the mountains of the Peloponnese on mainland Greece.
- Your photo stop just beneath the Venetian Palace is also a place where traditionally dressed young island folk provide a piece of Mandolato which is a traditional sweet produced from the almond nougat.
- After this photo prevent you depart for the Monastery of Anafonitria that is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and it is the oldest monastery on the island (14th century).
- St. Dionysios who’s the patron saint of Zakynthos served as abbot for almost all his life here, until his death in 1624. St. Dionysios was well-known for his healing powers and compassion. In 1703 he was declared a Saint. The monastery has been renovated uncovering 15th century frescoes.
- Later you go to the small traditional mountain village of Volimes. When you are here you see some traditional island homes which survived the earthquake.
- The village is known for its handicrafts, which are displayed across the roadside. You have some spare time to visit this small village before go back to the pier in Zakynthos.
Zakynthos is known for its cultural life.
A few of the famous cultural Events are:
- Carnival: A conventional town crier goes around the island proclaiming this program of the Carnival festivities. Around the last Sunday of the Carnival may be the procession of the Carnival King. The festivities end using the “Mask Funeral”. Litany and artistic events within the memory of Aghios Dionysios on August 24th and December 17th.
- Easter: The Holy Week in Zakynthos features its own character with ancient customs as well as an exceptional rite as far as the religious ceremonies are worried.
The celebration of Holy Week on Zakynthos Island is regarded as unique and unforgettable for both locals and visitors to the area. At noon, on Good Friday, crowds of worshippers play in the procession of the Crucified through the town.